Friday, August 8, 2008

Making Eye Contact Is Important

Recently I asked someone about her/his general impression of our service at the desk. This person indicated that whoever is staffing the desk just as often as not does not make eye contact with someone walking through the doors. I agree that there is room for improvement on this point. Remember that one of the primary reasons we moved the desk over near the doors was to be more effective at greeting patrons and improving their sense that they are welcome to approach the desk. I will take this constructive criticism to heart and work to improve my attentiveness to people walking through the doors, and I encourage everyone to do likewise.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

it's also good to scan the ref rooms from time to time -- sometimes people clearly need help, but are not going to approach us to ask for it.